Tuesday, February 21, 2006

More Ubuntu ...

Ubuntu is working great for me. Got my head around the SMP issue and got the right kernel, it wasn't obvious (choose K7 SMP from synaptic package manager seemed to work), but it works now and we can see both cores.

In fact it works so well that we are using it on several desktops (yes, desktop linux!) and have even converted a Debian weirdo (and we all know what they're like).

The only downside, and this is true for pretty much all distributions is that you end up a bit behind the bleeding edge, i.e. Firefox 1.07 not 1.5. I have tried to keep with in the distro and not go off installing from source in an attempt to see if it is possible to use it with a consumer mentality. And I think it succeeds, it is stable (more so than Suse) simple and easy to administer, complete and works well on a range of hardware from a Via C3 mini ITX box that I use as a media server, Athlon X2, P3/P4s the works and all without complaints.

However the 64 bit version was shite, unlike Suse that worked in 64 bit mode like a dream, which is fine because I have yet to be convinced by 64 bit for what I do.

More later, but try it it works.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home